Our Customer Views and Ratings
What our clients think of our services is extremely important to our entire team; after all, without our clients we don’t have clinics!
There are a number of ways we seek and share feedback. Each year we run an online client survey encouraging clients to provide honest answers in regards to all aspects of our services; results of which we share in newsletters, via Facebook and on our website.
Client feedback forms which capture compliments and suggestions for continuous improvement are managed professionally and promptly.
Below we share some of the 2016 survey results and some recent client compliments – all of which we are very proud of!
The ratings below are from our 2016 Annual Customer Satisfaction Survey; our team is proud to share these results with you.
We asked our customers how they felt about us in four areas:
3) services and
See below our 4.5-star average for all four areas.
We asked our customers how well they felt we understood their needs?
An overwhelming 90% we extremely happy with our team; this if great and we are proud however we are planning hard to ensure that we can further understand the needs of the other 10% of our valued customers…so positive changes are happening.